Facebook Insights Update
Facebook has drastically improved their insights platform for businesses using Facebook Fanpages, starting with a top level dashboard view that allows for a top level view across all the Fanpages that you manage. The biggest change you will notice that the platform has dropped the reference to “fans” and replaced them with “users”, and they now offer a standard monthly or daily view for insights. You cannot currently adjust the date range shown or cannot seek weekly stats which would be more useful than days as they are less prone to erratic spikes.
You can also see that Facebook has also starting offering Insights for your domain, which starts to build the platform for a more detailed understanding about Facebook’s value to your website traffic and can deliver results and detail not available in most other web analytics tools. The information and insight will likely not be as detailed as java script based tracking scripts but it is a sign of where Facebook might be taking its platform, so Google Analytics stay tuned….
The tracking authorisation works similar to Google Webmaster Tools or Bing Webmaster Tools, by using a simple META tag added to your site, individual page, application or potentially your personal profile page. It can be linked to your personal account or your Fanpage as I have done above. The code was just added today so as you can see from the screenshot below no data has yet been captured and it will take up to 24 hours to process and display.
Repeated point its not real-time
The insight data is still not real-time which may present some issues for larger advertisers who have to rely on real time data to feed back to decision makers. The Facebook insights data is aggregated on a daily basis and is usually made available within 24 hours after a full day has been completed.
- Application Directory
- Applications Dashboard – Friends’ Applications (labeled section)
- Applications Dashboard – Friends’ Recent Activity (labeled section
- Applications Dashboard – Your Applications (labeled section)
- Bookmark (Application bookmark)
- Games Dashboard – Friends’ Games (labeled section)
- Games Dashboard – Friends’ Recent Activity (labeled section)
- Games Dashboard – Your Games (labeled section)
- Stream (News Feed)
- Suggestions (Facebook suggestions to users)
- Requests (User to user suggestion)
- Search (Facebook search bar at the top of the page)
- Application Tab
- Fan Page (Like button at top of fan page)
- User Profile Page (Fan links from another users’ profile page)
- Fan Box (“Like Box” social plugin)
- Ads (Facebook advertising)