- PC Mag – Zynga to Fuel an Epic Google-Farmville Mashup
- TechCrunch – Google Secretly Invested $100+ Million In Zynga, Preparing To Launch Google Games
- Venture Beat – Google quietly invests more than $100M in Zynga and prepares Google Games launch (confirmed)
- Gigaom – Are Google and Zynga Working on a Gaming Deal?
- Product Management Leader, Games
- Developer Advocate, Games
The interesting point is that Google has hired plenty of staff roles for projects that never see the light of day outside internal alpha testing and some projects such as new email platforms are not yet ready for the market. Looking at the first of the two advertised roles, one of the key responsibilities of the product management leader is “Engage closely with the engineering team to help determine the best technical implementation methods as well as a reasonable execution schedule”. That would indicate that internally Google doesn’t yet know how its going to build the platform, how its going to tie the product into its existing platform and even what the roadmap to launch would be.
The second role developer advocate focuses on a key part of the role being “You will also propose and advocate new technologies internally to improve Google’s offerings to the game development community”, so that would lend more weight to the argument that Google is building its own gaming platform internally and is working to please the game developers for a longer term relation more than just focusing on buying Zynga.
Paypal Replaced with Google Checkout?